Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Heart a Day - Day One

Unchained Melody - Heart-A-Day, Day One
I was watching the Etsy Symposium today and the presentation by Noah Scalin really got my creative brain fired up.  He's the creator of the Skull-A-Day project where he challenged himself to make a skull image everyday to inspire his creativity energy.  At the end of his presentation he challenged the audience to think of an image like a star, flower, circle, etc and make 10 of them in 20 minutes. 

Maybe because it's almost Valentine's Day, maybe because I'm not artistically inclined, maybe because I'm a sap, but I picked a heart and had so much fun making 10 hearts out of ribbon, thumbtacks and even a coffee stain.  As he described it, I had an A-ha moment during this activity where my brain jumped off it's tracks and got creative about materials, letting go of perfection and really got revved up.  I was running around my kitchen at one point chewing bits of bread into a heart shape, leaving a trail of crumbs the dog enjoyed.

This was just the jump start I needed.  I had felt stuck in a rut lately with design, blogging, art - this was the perfect task for me!  So, I'm barreling down this track and committing to make a heart a day, some simple, some complex, some ephemeral, some found - but I'm going to stick with it, learn new techniques, allow myself to play.  I'll capture each heart and post them here, hopefully it will be fun to watch it unfold!   

Big thank you to Noah - his blog is inspiring and visually stunning - go check it out - http://skulladay.blogspot.com/p/about.html

No comments: