Friday, June 3, 2011

Locavore - Geneva Green Market



Kelly and I were so excited to go to the first Geneva Green Market of the summer.  This local farmers market has vendors within 200 miles of Geneva and runs June - October on Thursday from 7:00am - 1:00pm.  It even runs throughout the winter at Inglebrook Pantry - fresh cuts of meat, sausage, cheese, bread, farm fresh eggs, plants, veggies - it's a perfect way to eat local and support local farmers and businesses. 

It was the first market of the summer, so there weren't too many vendors, but we did pretty good: Fresh wholegrain bread, locally grown asparagus, amazing blue cheese and beautiful pink peonies.  Oh, there was also a brownie cupcake that was inhaled on the ride home by a certain 5 year old.



The trick to get your cut peonies to open is to use tepid/warm water.  You can even beat up the stems a bit with a hammer if they are woody - this helps them absorb more water.  Make sure to remove lots of their foliage as well, as pretty as it is, it will make them wilt faster. 


My husband is on this no-carb, low carb diet.  While I support him in this, I will not deny myself bready goodness, I just do it in secret.  Or at least not in front of his face. 

2 comments:

Tsuki aka LittleGrayFox said...

fresh bread is way too good to turn down! I can't wait for the chance to hit up some local markets...maybe this weekend since we'll actually have sun!

Tsuki

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for fresh bread! The flowers are beautiful.